The Beatles Ashram or Maharishi Mahesh Yogi ashram (locally known as Chaurasi kutia ashram)is one of the best places to visit in Rishikesh. It is placed on the bank of the Holy river the Ganges and it lies within the range of the beautiful Rajaji National Park of Uttarakhand.
Image Source – TheBeatlesCathedralGallery
Earlier, this place was one of the best ashrams in Rishikesh where people from all over the world comes to obtain peace by learning Yoga and Meditation under the famous guru Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. This place has turned from a Yoga learning Center into a Tourist Place.
Before knowing the place let’s take a quick view on, Who are these “The Beatles” and “Maharishi Mahesh Yogi“?
About The Beatles Band-
The Beatles band is one of the best English Musical Band. Those people who are the music lovers, they definitely have heard the name of “John Lennon”. John Lennon was the famous Singer, Songwriter and co-founded the Beatles band along with the Paul McCarteny.
He co-founded the Beatles band along with the Paul McCarteny.
This band has given the world a lot of Hit songs like “Hey Jude”, “A day in the life”, “Let it be” and so on….
Who is Maharishi Mahesh Yogi?
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi was one of the best yoga gurus that India ever had. He learned the Yoga and Meditation under the Famous Spiritual Guru Shankaracharya
Maharishi Mahesh was the founder of the Transcendental Meditation movement and Global Country of World Peace. In 1961, he conducted the first Transcendental Meditation TTC (Teacher Training Course) in Rishikesh.
According to Wikipedia, In his entire life, Maharishi Mahesh yogi has trained over 40,000 Teachers and has taught over 5 million people.
Sri Sri Ravi Shankar a famous Spiritual Leader is one of his students. He was the guru of famous Musical bands The Beatles and The Beach Boys.
Confrontation of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and The Beatles
In February 1968, The Beatles traveled to Rishikesh for a three-month course of Transcendental Meditation (TM) to attain peace. They wrote many songs over there.
One of the hit songs was “Sexy Sadie”
Well, there is a story behind this song. John Lennon alleged that the Maharishi had made sexual advances to women attendees, so left out the course within just two months in a precipitous manner. Later on, he wrote a caustic song titled “Maharishi” to let his feelings and after sometimes renamed it to “Sexy Sadie” to avoid legal issues.
In 1997 this famous ashram got deserted. Recently on 8 December 2015 on the anniversary of John Lennon, Uttarakhand’s Forest Department reopened this Beatles ashram and turns it into a Tourist place.
5 reasons to visit the Beatles Ashram –
Image Source – a wanderlust soul blog
- If you are a painting lover then this is one of the best places to visit. You will get Amazing Wall Painting. From the paintings of famous spiritual leader Dalai Lama to peacemaker Mahatma Gandhi, you will get the creative paintings and quotes over there. All the paintings are painted by the various artists of the world under the community The Beatles Cathedral Gallery.
- The main reason for the people coming to Rishikesh from across the globe is Yoga and Meditation. This region is great for those who are looking for the “Peace” or wants to do “Meditation”.
- A famous quote “All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.” by Friedrich Nietzsche. Well, this place is totally fitting for this quote as this place is covered with elegant trees. The best place to do Nature Walks.
Image source – budgetyatri blog
- Undoubtedly, this place is most perfect for the Photographers especially for the Nature Photographers as you can see in the photos that this place is luxury greenest.
- Are you a Bird watcher? If yes, then this place is amazing for doing Bird watching. You can freely do Bird watching over here.
Image Credits – Miles Toland
Which people did the graffiti artwork in Beatles Ashram?
One of the main reasons why Beatles Ashram is famous is because of its Graffiti artwork.
In 2016, 4 artists came toand did the Graffiti artwork in Beatles Ashram
Here is the Artist Name’s and Facebook links to their Profile/Pages. Check out their Artwork. These guys are Awesome artists.
What’s the Beatles ashram entry fee?
Here is the list of Beatles ashram Entry fee
- Rs 150 for Indians
- Rs 600 for foreigners and
- Rs 50 for Students
Note – You have to carry your ID Proof to show whether you are Indian, Foreigner or Student.
Directions for the Beatles ashram in Rishikesh-
Beatles ashram or Maharishi Mahesh Yogi ashram is situated in the Swargasharm area in Ram Jhula.
From Ram Jhula walks towards the Geeta Bhavan or Parmarth Niketan Ashram. After walking some distance (2 km approx.) you’ll reach the end side of the Road and you’ll see a Big old gate and that’s the Gate of Beatles ashram.
The chain for Reaching the Beatles Ashram is –
Rishikesh > Ram Jhula > Parmarth Niketan Ashram > Beatles Ashram
This ashram is 2 km far from the Ram Jhula Bridge and 8 km from Rishikesh.
Nearest Airport – Jollygrant, Dehradun Airport (30 km from the Beatles ashram)
Nearest Railway Station – Rishikesh Railway station (13 km the Beatles ashram)
Hope this article gave you some information about this place. If I miss any information feel free to comment or you can mail me on this mail id – firstname.lastname@example.org